This year has been amazing. Let me count the ways: The first full year in my house, another blissful year of marriage, an amazing year of watching my son grow up into a Real Person, a year covered in cat hair. Yeah, even that part is good.
I think 2012 can be even better (even if it's the end of the world). I usually stay away from New Years Resolutions, but forget that, I'm doing it this time. And I'm declaring it publicly so you guys can help prod me when I fall behind.
So here we go:
1. Lose ten pounds. The same stupid ten pounds I've gained and lost since I was seventeen. I don't have any problems losing weight, or staying healthy--I used to be almost fifty pounds heavier, and I've kept 80% of that off for almost eight years. (Eight years? OH GOD I'M OLD.) I eat great, I'm active, and I look fabulous... stretch marks and all. Thank you pregnancy.
But even though I'm already healthy, I believe the ideal weight for my lofty height of 5'9" is 150 lbs (that's 175 cm and 68 kg for those of you using a rational measurement system), while by body stubbornly insists it's 160 lbs. Well, screw you body. I'm losing those ten pounds. Again. AND THIS TIME THEY'RE STAYING OFF.
2. Read fifty books. I got so close this year and tripped up at the end when I gave myself way too much work to do. I'm in the middle of "Hereafter" by Tara Hudson now, by the way. You can be my friend on Goodreads if you'd like to see how I'm doing on this particular goal.
3. Write 1000 words a day, even when I'm in the middle of editing something else or focusing on collecting reviews. I think I probably wrote about half that this year. Really, that's not so bad. I've released three full-length books in 2011, as well as two novellas, and published a charity anthology by superhero authors.
I would guess I averaged 500 words a day in fits and starts--no writing one month, and then a series of 10,000 word days for a week kind of writing. I sincerely believe I can do better if I stop wasting so much damn time. And on that note...
4. Stop wasting so much time on Reddit. Seriously, the site is a huge time suck. Do I need to look at cat pictures that badly? I'm going to go into my router and blacklist this site. I'm not joking. I'm going to do it. (Tomorrow.)
5. Spend more time with the Helpful Baby. He's a Helpful Toddler now, actually. Can you believe it?
|He is so cute I could just punch a kitten.|
6. Stay in the country. You wouldn't think this would be too difficult for an American. We're kind of isolated on our side of the pond. Nevertheless, I've left the country on major trips twice this year (!!!) and my bank account is showing the aftereffects of that.
In order to save more money, I won't do any big vacations this year. Well, except Disneyland in April, but I already have that planned. And, um, maybe a quick jaunt up to Canada... But then nothing else until the Hawai'i trip in 2013! I swear! (I have an addiction. It's called vacation.)
7. Show more appreciation to the awesome people who support me. I've had a kickass year. I've reached some publishing milestones I never dreamed of achieving, and it was 100% due to the support of all you amazing type people. It seems I've been neglecting my online friends lately, though, so I'm going to try to think of something nice to show my love. I'm not sure what yet. (It might involve cookies.) What do you think I should do? Free books?
What's your #1 resolution for 2012?